A York landlord has been forced to pay over £10,000 in fines and costs following fire safety failings at his rental property.
North Yorkshire Fire and Rescue Service were called to a report of a fire on 4th September 2016 at flats on Fulford Road in York.
The fire had been caused by an electrical fault near to the fuse board at the property and fire officers found that the fire alarm and detection system provided for the two flats and communal hallway was not working.
During an interview with the landlord, Mr Charles Thornton, he admitted that he had not planned or organised his fire safety responsibilities adequately. The fire alarm and detection system at the York property had not been tested, serviced, and maintained as it should have been.
The case was brought to York Magistrates Court last week, where the landlord pleaded guilty to three contraventions of the Regulatory Reform (Fire Safety) Order 2005.
The case resulted in Mr Thornton being fined £7,000 and ordered to pay £2,933.33 in costs with a surcharge of £170.
Ms Karen Galloway prosecuting stated: ‘The Fire and Rescue Service’s decision to prosecute was not taken lightly and this measure is only taken in the most serious cases.
‘The responsible person is always in a position of authority, their lack of actions should have been foreseeable to prevent, in the event of fire, persons being put at risk of death or serious injury. The contraventions in this case were serious and would have continued had the Fire Authority not acted immediately.
Assistant director of housing and community safety for the council, Tom Brittain, commented: ‘We work hard with landlords and letting agents to ensure that they comply with legislation that exists to protect and keep their tenants safe – as well as their properties.’