- Readers Rating
- No Rating Yet!
- Your Rating
Two buy to let investors in Chester have been ordered to pay more than £5,000 for renting out a flat without windows or any form of heating.
Following our recent article reporting the Slough landlord who was hiding tenants in their rental property by boarding up the windows, two Chester landlords have been found to be renting out a buy to let property with no windows.
The property is located above commercial premises on Brook Street Chester, and in addition to having no windows, also contained a number of serious fire hazards.
Cheshire West and Chester Council’s housing standards team discovered the hazards when they inspected the flat in December 2017. The council then served a prohibition order banning the property from being occupied.
However, during a surprise visit by the same team in June 2018, they discovered that the flat was again occupied, despite the prohibition order.
The two Chester landlords, Sandeep Jarjapu, of Belgrave Street in Chester, and Nattha Gohill of Seller Street in Chester, were therefore prosecuted for failing to comply with a prohibition order served under the Housing Act 2004.
The landlords were subsequently ordered to pay a total penalty of £5,286, consisting of fines and costs.
Director of place operations for Cheshire West and Chester Council, Maria Byrne, said: ‘As a council we are very keen to ensure that tenants living in the private rented sector are housed in properties that are safe and free from hazards. We will not tolerate landlords who choose to house their tenants in property that is not fit for human habitation.
‘Due to the severity of the hazards and the risks to the health and safety of the occupant, a Prohibition Order was served which prevented the flat from being occupied by any persons. However, following an unannounced visit to the property in June 2018 it was found that the flat was occupied again, in contravention of the Prohibition Order.’
She concluded: ‘I would urge any tenant living in a property which has serious hazards to report these to the council`s Housing Standards Team.’