A pair of Birmingham landlords were told to pay a total of £13,387 at Birmingham Magistrates Court yesterday. It was found that they had been in breach of management regulations at a three-storey rental property, potentially impacting the safety of their tenants.
Abdul Qadir, 56, and Dr Mohammed Anwar, 49, both from Solihull, were forced to pay the fines after breaching regulations including those intended to protect tenants from fire. The property in question was visited in October 2016 by council officers following a complaint regarding its state of disrepair by a tenant. There were several defects discovered throughout the property including a lack of working fire detection throughout the home, as well as no emergency lighting. Furthermore, many of the doors were not fire doors and those that were lacked cold smoke seals and self closers, rendering the house a severe danger to those that resided in it. There were no fire blankets found in the kitchen, whilst the house also had missing handrails and trailing wires and extension cables.
Aesthetically, there was also much wrong with the property. Inspectors discovered peeling décor and mould growth to the bathroom ceiling, as well as broken bath panels and kitchen cupboards and units. The central heating system was broken, whilst the boiler was located in a locked room. There were loose electrical sockets and light switches throughout the house, as well as a sizeable hole in the kitchen floor.
The two landlords both pleaded guilty to breaching management regulations. Qadir was fined £5,000 with £1,550 full costs and victim surcharge of £170, whilst Anwar was fined £5,000 with £1,497 full costs and victim surcharge of £170.
Birmingham City Council’s director of housing, Robert James, said: ‘Qadir and Anwar displayed a total disregard for the health and safety of the occupants and the property was in a poor condition with inadequate fire precautions. I am glad that we have been able to bring this landlord to justice through our specialist work on rogue landlords.’